This is a lovely autumny cake full of warm spices and lingonberries. It's sweet and spicy enough that it's great without a topping but even better with a drizzle of oat cream. The recipe comes from a supermarket magazine called Buffé and looked fairly un-vegan but I liked the sound of it so just substituted all the cream, milk, butter and eggs for the vegan equivalent. The recipe calls for 3 eggs so I used cornflour and potato starch which may have been excessive but it worked. However, after a couple of days, the cake starts tasting a little bit chalky so maybe some soy-ghurt or apple sauce would be better. Again, the measurements were in decilitres but I've weighed it out too.
Spiced Lingonberry Cake
- 50 g vegan margarine
- 3 dl (280 g) sugar
- Egg replacer equal to 3 eggs (2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon potato starch and 1/4 cup oat milk in my case)
- 1 dl (115 g or heaping 1/3 cup) lingonberry jam
- 1 dl (100 ml) vegan cream
- 1 dl (100 ml) vegan milk
- 3 dl (190 g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
Extra margarine for greasing and fine breadcrumbs to line the pan.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 20×30 cm cake tin (mine was a little bigger, about 9×13 inches) and sprinkle an even coat of breadcrumbs.
- Whisk margarine, sugar and egg replacer. Add lingonberry jam, cream and milk and combine.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cardamon, cinnamon and ginger in a small bowl then add in batches to the wet ingredients and mix to a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream and more lingon.
The original recipe (på svenska) can be found on Ica's website along with a prettier picture.
N.B. While I used lingonberry jam, the recipe really calls for rårörda lingon (raw mixed lingonberries) which is just raw lingon berries mixed with sugar until the sugar dissolves. The amount of sugar varies a lot between recipes. You can try it yourself with 200 g thawed lingonberries and about 1/2 dl – 1 dl regular or Muscovado sugar.